Labels

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Book of Mormon - Alma 38:2

July 13, 2010: It has just occured to me that this short chapter where Alma speaks to his son Shiblon is for the general population of the Church. Helaman's long chapters are for modern-day leaders of the Church. Corianton's are for those who stray. But Shiblon is for us who stay faithful throughout our lives. Shiblon is the brother of the Prodigal Son.

In verse 2 Alma praises Shiblon for being faithful in his youth and counsels him to remain faithful and endure to the end. What a necessary lesson for all of us. The older I get the more I understand that the fact that I graduated from seminary and institute and served a mission does not guarantee anything. This gospel takes work - takes endurance to the end. I pray that I can follow Alma's advice to Shiblon and keep the commandments, keep repenting, keep doing that I may enter the Kingdom of God at that last day.

No comments: