Labels

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Book of Mormon ~ Alma 53

August 5, 2010: I think there is probably a lot of the Stripling Warrior story that we don't hear about. Their fathers are prepared to battle when they step up and offer to go instead. Despite the covenant not to war that their fathers have made, I cannot imagine their fathers immediately accepted the offer. These were their beloved sons. How could they send them off to war. They know all too well the dangers of war and knew that there were many sons who they probably wouldn't see again. In the end, the persuasion of the sons won out and they left to fight with Helaman.

Certainly, the Lord spared the life of each Stripling Warrior because of their great faith. But I think it was also because of the faith and sacrifice of their parents. They had already lost so much and yet remained true to the gospel. No doubt Heavenly Father had great mercy on them and allowed each of those valiant young men to return home. I love the application of this beautiful story and pray that I can raise my own children to believe as they did so that my family will have equal protection and be able to live together forever.

No comments: